2017 – REFLECTIONS
The year offered more than enough issues for a progressive think tank to tackle. Our strategic priorities are reflected in the topics on which we focused our research and communication with supporters.
- Discussion forums including the monthly policy lunches and occasional seminars examined important national and state issues in city design, education, energy, housing and the future of work.
- High calibre speakers presented at all forums. We were delighted to hear from two Victorian Government Ministers – Martin Foley and Richard Wynne – each of whom spoke candidly about issues in his portfolio.
- The annual John Cain Lecture was presented by an outstanding Australian, Judge Marcia Neave, who spoke on family violence, a field in which her expertise is widely recognised.
- We continued to press for reform of political donations.
- We commenced an in-depth research project which will continues into 2018 – VET in Crisis – examination of the serious issues evident across the nation in vocational education and training.
- The annual Evan Walker Conversation was well attended and was, as usual, a lively and thought provoking discussion.
- Partnerships with the University of Melbourne, Housing Choices Australia and a number of left-of-centre think tanks were strengthened during the period.
Our priorities for 2018 Include:
- Sustainable cities – we hope to undertake two research projects in this, a priority strategic area of interest for the Foundation. Details will be available early in the year.
- Vocational Education – continuation of the work commenced with Professor Leesa Wheelahan and the Melbourne Graduate School of Education on ways to reform VET. We will continue to focus on changes in the nature of work and capabilities required of workers in the coming decade.
- Affordable Housing – can the Federal Government do more? How is Victoria tracking in developing programs to support better choices for all citizens.
- Leadership – We also plan a series of high profile lectures on political leadership, featuring past leaders of high repute.
We look forward to your continued support in the year ahead.
Where: Altmann Gallery, 5-15 Advantage Road Highett
Opening: Thursday 7th Dec. 6-9pm
Open: 8 to 16 Dec. weekdays 10-5pm, weekends 11-5pm
Proceeds from sale of paintings and drawings will be donated to MND Victoria and Sisterworks