This may we had our monthly lunch with the Victorian minister for planning, the Honourable Richard Wynne.
At the lunch Minister Wynne outlined the government’s strategy for Melbourne’s future.
By 2051 there will be 8million Victorians, 4.5million in Melbourne. The Minister made it clear he is acutely aware that growth brings problems.
By 2018 Melbourne will have –
- 10m additional transport trips
- 100k more housing lots released
- reforms to planning schemes to streamline process and increase density in middle ring suburbs
- new dwelling height limits
- The Minister stressed his objective – growth while protecting neighbourhood character. He outlined plans for two new urban renewal areas – Arden & Fisherman’s Bend and reminded the audience of current infrastructure projects currently under way –
- Melbourne Metro
- VeloWay – a 14 km bicycle path from the west
- Level Crossings – 10 completed, 13
- New rail line to Mernda
- Public Transport night network – all night transport form city to suburbs
- In progress, 8 more will start in 2017
- Wind Farms – several large project approved recently
Plan Melbourne will be reviewed 5 yearly and reported annually.